Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Kubuntu Karmic Fun

In just a few days the next version of Kubuntu will be released. This last weekend I decided to install the release candidate. I planned a fresh install to take advantage of both ext4 and grub2. So, before starting the install I backed up my /home to an external hard drive. I then started the install.

At first I tried installing without booting into a live session. I liked the installer screen. It's the same whether installing from a live session or installing directly from boot. Everything was good, until my laptop shutdown. I was not carefully watching it, so I figured there was an error and attempted to install a second time. This time I was watching it when it shutdown. It was then I realized the problem. My laptop was really warm and shut itself down.

I decided to try a live session to see if the fan was working. It started running when I powered on the laptop, but stopped running as soon the splash screen came up. I managed to complete the install, using a battery powered fan to keep everything cool.

I then began searching for similar issues and found many with Acer laptops having CPU fan issues. There were a few scripts to run that would jump start the fan, those did not work for me. The one fix I did find was updating the BIOS.

I don't want go into any methods of creating a bootable cd/usb to update the BIOS since I wasn't able to get any of them to work. I did however have a beta version of windows (shhhh... don't tell). I was then able to update the BIOS.

Finally I installed kubuntu karmic and the fan issue is fixed. Now to restore the important files from my external hard drive.

Mike


References:


http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107212.0

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1295391


No comments: